About the Award
The Phillips Innovation award is the largest student-entrepreneur award in The Netherlands. This award is organized for students, by students. We do not believe in “the winner takes it all”-principle. The Philips Innovation Award has become a platform where each participant can profit from. By participating you will get personal feedback, practice important skills, receive coaching and build a network. The Philips innovation awards consists of four stages.
Are you a student with an innovative idea and you want to take this idea to the next level? Participate!
The applications for the Philips Innovation Award 2018 have been closed.
The Idea stage
During this stage the ideas will be collected. In this stage the best 10 ideas can receive €100!
The Developing stage
During the Developing stage the ideas will be translated to more concrete plans
The Refining stage
30 Ideas, consisting of 24 Innovators and 6 Rough Diamonds, will be chosen to compete at our semi-final.
The Final stage
The best 8 ideas will be prepared for their final challenge. These 8 ideas consist of 5 innovators and 3 rough diamonds. At the Final, innovators can win the Phillips Innovation Award worth €50.000 and the Rough Diamonds the Rough Diamond Award worth €10.000.
The Innovators Award is our big league price worth €50.000 and gives every start-up a kick-start towards success. It consists of cash, assistance in registering patents, creative services, consulting advice and more! This price will boost your start-up to the next level. However, the Philips Innovation Award is more than just an Award. Every participant will benefit from our platform. We make sure you will get feedback and receive coaching from members of our network. Besides this, you will build a network with several interesting start-ups.
Requirements for teams
- Members of the teams must be the owner of the idea or must be, if a business based on this idea has already been founded, directly in charge of the business (as founder/owner, board member, director or any comparable role)
- The founder of the business either:
• Currently studies at a Dutch university.
• Has completed a study at a Dutch university within the last 3 years.
- At least half of the team members (round off upwards) must be student.
- A team member is considered a student, if he or she meets one of these descriptions:
a. He or she is enrolled or admitted at a university, HBO or MBO educational institution based in the Netherlands (or a comparable institution in another country), or has ended his or her enrolment within the last 3 years.
b. He or she is currently a PhD-student at a university.
- Maximum age for team members is 28 throughout the whole cycle of the award.
Last years' winner
The winner of the Rough Diamond League is Levels Diagnostics. They are developing a new rapid diagnostic tool that allows medical healthcare professionals to assess the nature of an infectious disease, being bacterial or viral. The method will significantly reduce the need for antibiotics and will improve diagnoses in developing regions.
Rough Diamond Award
The Rough Diamond League is a separate league for teams who just started working out their idea. The objective of the Philips Innovation Award is making it able for students to develop their idea. The Philips Innovation Award stimulates entrepreneurship and innovation among students. This is the reason why we implemented this league last year. We give developers of an idea an opportunity to win €10.000. This price will boost your business to the next level. So don’t be afraid that you can’t compete against other start-ups who are already in an advanced stage! This league is only there for teams who are founded after 1 October 2017.
Additional requirements for a Rough Diamond
- The 6 best business plans that did not make it to the Refining Stage as an Innovator and meet the description of rule 2 are classified as Rough Diamond.
- The Rough Diamond League is for teams with an innovative idea for a business who have set up their business (registered at the Kamer van Koophandel) after 1 October 2016.
- Teams that reached the Refining Stage as one of the 24 contenders, are not allowed to compete in the Rough Diamond League, and will not be classified as Rough Diamond.
- As a Rough Diamond you are mandatory to attend at the coaching day(s), and otherwise will be excluded from participation.